Worlaby is a village in the beautiful western Wolds of North Lincolnshire. The Parish Council maintains this website to allow citizens greater visibility of, and opportunity to get involved in, the many projects affecting the village. Please contact the Clerk if you require information adding to the website.
For the latest information on activities within the Village
About the village - Worlabys' name is defined as 'Wulfric's farmstead or village'. Since 1086 when it was known as Uluricebi or Vluricebi in the Doomsday Book it has also been spelt as Wulfrikeby, Wolrickby and Werliby.
The place - Worlaby is a small village located on the western edge of the Wolds near Brigg. The parish church of St Clement was rebuilt in the 1870s by W Scott Champion but its tower dates to the eleventh century. There are also two chapels; the Wesleyn dates from 1858 and the Primitive Methodist from before 1856.
Close to the church is an almshouse known as Worlaby Hospital. Built in 1663 by Lord Belasyse as, it is thought, a thanks offering for his life being spared during the Civil war when as a Royalist he was imprisoned in the Tower.
Legend has it that there was once a teetotal squire of Worlaby that would not allow an inn in the village. Farmworkers were not to be stopped though from the occasional tipple, and brewed their own beer. They stored it in a well and when they wanted a drink they just went down the well.
Information taken from North Lincolnshire Council's Local History.
Views of Worlaby and some Local Landmarks from the Air